My Ban

If you were banned from the server, you can attempt to explain your way out of it here!

Re: My Ban

Postby Sanamsam1 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:42 am

Jman, I appreciate your clemency oh wise one, but you are predisposed to think me guilty due to my previous ban. Furthermore, you picked your mods/admins because you personally like them. I can't fault you for it, but it's the truth.
Sanamsam1

Postby Bler » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:46 am

Sanamsam1 wrote:Jman, I appreciate your clemency oh wise one, but you are predisposed to think me guilty due to my previous ban. Furthermore, you picked your mods/admins because you personally like them. I can't fault you for it, but it's the truth.

Just out of curiosity, how else would you pick mods/admins? Nobody is going to take a person that they dislike and put them in a place of power.
kasumi
*steals Ownership of the server
Bler

Postby Jman100 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:49 am

I like them, but I also trust them. They know my rules. Time to shut up about it now or you can be banned permanently, here on the forum too. I'm giving you wayyyy too much leeway here.
Jman100
Site Admin

Postby Sanamsam1 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:29 pm

No yeah Bler I totally agree with you, the point is that you're his friends and that's why he trusts you WHICH IS NOT NECESSARILY A BAD THING. Jman, you don't have to respond to me, let me ramble I'm not hurting anyone.
Sanamsam1

Postby Crappage » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:15 am

Bler wrote:While I applaud your mention of the great George Orwell, I can't help but to point out that everything you have said has been entirely opinion-based and/or statistically incorrect. Not only that, you also failed to make any concrete suggestions on how we could change things to make the server a better place, only supplying unnecessarily harsh deconstructive criticism instead. My favorite part of what you said was "Oh come on, a few trolls makes things entertaining." The purpose of a troll is to upset others, is it not? How could having people that aggravate others possibly make the server better?

It's pretty self-explanatory. Just don't ban people and let the community decide if they should go or not. Make it a social experiment. If enough people report a certain player, then take action because obviously the community doesn't like that person. If NOBODY reports that person, then that means the community doesn't care. As an admin, if you're the only one who cares and bans the person for what he's doing, then what's the point? You banned him for your own reasons, not to protect the community.

I'm of the belief that people can take care of themselves. They have the ability to turn off the chat completely, or they can just grow some thicker skin and fight back against the offending person. It's what I do, and I honestly have fun doing it.
Crappage

Postby Bler » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:06 am

Crappage wrote:
Bler wrote:While I applaud your mention of the great George Orwell, I can't help but to point out that everything you have said has been entirely opinion-based and/or statistically incorrect. Not only that, you also failed to make any concrete suggestions on how we could change things to make the server a better place, only supplying unnecessarily harsh deconstructive criticism instead. My favorite part of what you said was "Oh come on, a few trolls makes things entertaining." The purpose of a troll is to upset others, is it not? How could having people that aggravate others possibly make the server better?

It's pretty self-explanatory. Just don't ban people and let the community decide if they should go or not. Make it a social experiment. If enough people report a certain player, then take action because obviously the community doesn't like that person. If NOBODY reports that person, then that means the community doesn't care. As an admin, if you're the only one who cares and bans the person for what he's doing, then what's the point? You banned him for your own reasons, not to protect the community.

I'm of the belief that people can take care of themselves. They have the ability to turn off the chat completely, or they can just grow some thicker skin and fight back against the offending person. It's what I do, and I honestly have fun doing it.

You bring up good points, and that might be possible if we had a reporting system. But JCMP lacks a reporting system. At the same time, it'd still be up to an authority figure (admin/mod/owner) to pass judgement, as if a group of friends decided to report somebody enough times that they become banned, that would be unfair if the person didn't actually break any rules. We wouldn't want any sort of mob mentality to take over the server.
Now, I can't speak for every admin or moderator, but I've never banned anybody for personal reasons. That's petty and unprofessional. I think I know enough about the other staff members to say that they usually would follow the same model, but I'm sure there have been rare occasions where it has occurred. For me and most others, if we find somebody breaking the rules of the server, we generally give a warning or two first, then kick the person up to three times if he/she hasn't stopped. Then ban. When we ban, we usually state which rule was broken for the logs. After all, Jman can be a bit of what Americans call a "hardass" when it comes to unnecessary bans. If I see somebody get banned for a personal reason, I don't let that slide.
The banning process has been quite successful on this server for years, the recent Star Wars spoiler fiasco notwithstanding. I can go months without banning people, and when I do, I frequently have other people from the server thanking me for it. I think the Americans also have a phrase about not fixing things that aren't broken.
I completely agree that everyone should have a thicker skin, and that in many cases you should fight back against an offending person. But that doesn't always happen, and it's not always successful when it does. That's why we try to keep the server a safe place for more-or-less everyone. I believe that without authority, the server community would turn to destructive anarchy, and we'd lose a lot of the fun values that keep the server and its community going.
kasumi
Bler

Postby Sanamsam1 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:46 pm

if we find somebody breaking the rules of the server, we generally give a warning or two first, then kick the person up to three times if he/she hasn't stopped. Then ban. When we ban, we usually state which rule was broken for the logs.

I was kicked once, told that I was pushing "it" without being told what "it" was, and then banned for being a bitch. That hardly seems professional.
Sanamsam1

Postby Bler » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:29 pm

Sanamsam1 wrote:
if we find somebody breaking the rules of the server, we generally give a warning or two first, then kick the person up to three times if he/she hasn't stopped. Then ban. When we ban, we usually state which rule was broken for the logs.

I was kicked once, told that I was pushing "it" without being told what "it" was, and then banned for being a bitch. That hardly seems professional.

As I said, there are occasional unfortunate cases. Certainly not the majority, though. And common sense is also a thing that is used, keep in mind.
kasumi
Bler

Postby Jman100 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:26 pm

That's enough for this convo.
Jman100
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Ban Appeals